Thursday 5 July 2007

Welcome to my Air Cadet Blog

I have decided to log what happens at the cadets. Seems like a better idea that writing a book. Don't know where this might go, nor how it might be used, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I am the Squadron Commander of the 1769 (THURSO) Squadron Air Training Corps. I have been a member of staff with the Squadron since 1989, initially as a Civilian Instructor then, going into uniform several years later. I got involved because my husband, Paul, was a member of staff with the Squadron and they were short of female instructors. He begged me to come along and help out. I bet he regrets doing that, given that I am now in charge!

The Squadron meet on Monday and Thursday evenings, from 7.30pm, in the Drill Hall, Princes Street, Thurso and have many weekend and holiday activities. We provide the cadets with many opportunities from flying, gliding and aircraft recognition, to skiing, parachuting and hillwalking, to sports, leadership & academic qualifications, with lots of others in between.

The most influential people, in my ATC career (well it might as well be, it takes up as much time as my regular job), has been Flight Lieutenant Stuart Dunnett, my first Squadron Commander and Anne Dunnett, the Lord Lieutenant of Caithness.

I worked alongside Stuart for many years and despite being a civilian member of staff was his 'right-hand' woman (I don't think he would disagree). He then moved away from the county, for another woman no less, and he ended up marrying her. Stuart was the one who got me into skiing and hill walking, much to my initial disgust, but I am very grateful now. I learnt so much from Stuart and he became a very good friend. I still miss him around the Squadron and would stand down any time he wishes to return. He is now the Squadron Commander of the Whitehaven Squadron in Cumbria.

Anne Dunnett has been an inspiration both to myself and the cadets. Her dedication and commitment to the County's youth is insatiable and they all admire her for it. There have been times when I have contimplated giving it all up and a few unwitting words of praise from Anne have made it all worthwhile. It is so nice to have someone who notices the work that my staff and myself put into the organisation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions